#ThinkBeforeYouGo: For any wild animal, having a human ride or sit on it’s back, is contrary to their natural behaviour and would not be in the best interests of the animal.
Even though elephants, for example, are strong animals, they are not designed to carry weight on their backs, which can cause injury to their spine.
Why avoid riding of wild animals?
- There is unnecessary hands-on training and handling involved
- The animals don’t have freedom of choice
- The animals are forced to exhibit unnatural behaviour
- It serves no educational value
- It serves no conservation value
In many cases the animal would need to be trained to accept humans on their backs. These training techniques frequently involve negative reinforcement and even cruel methods that are often harmful to the animal.